Wednesday, April 3, 2013

If Only I Were A Mermaid


 

It could only have happened by chance that we would meet

out there in the wide open blue. It was the last day of my vacation

and I wanted to spend it alone. I never could have imagined

how un-alone I would be that day.

I must admit that when I first saw you I was frightened

by your size and awesome power. But as you drew nearer

I knew that you had as much respect for me as I had for you.

It was then that I wished that I was a Mermaid.

I was amazed at how you moved with such grace in the water, and

I tried to mimic each move you made; some successful; most not. Then

you held out your arms before me, as if to say you needed a hug.

God only knows I did.

I managed to get close enough to touch you then you allowed me

to grab your dorsal fin and the adventure began.

We swam together for hours, and thought you didn’t have to come up for air,

as much as I did, you would surface long enough for me to grab

a hurried lung full. You showed me so much that day

and I felt like a welcomed guest in your home. It broke my heart

when I had to leave you and I know you felt the same for when I got to shore

I look back and you were still there.

And I thought I saw your pectoral fin waving at me but it was getting dark and

I had water in my eyes. Then you leaped magnificently into the air

and disappeared. Thank you my friend.

You taught me a lot that day but most importantly

the true meaning of freedom.

(For Dustin, may all her dreams come true) 

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this poem. You captured a dream of mine, and I felt like I was there. My heart broke with her when she had to leave. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting read.
    swimming with whales? :)

    ReplyDelete