Monday, April 1, 2013

Goodbye Old Friend


I remember the day that I met you

I was 7 years old and my dad said you had to be at least 80

though, it was hard to tell. From the start we formed

a bond that lasted all the way into my young adult life.

That was when I left you to pursue other adventures…

military, war, travel, employment, marriage and children, but

throughout that time I never forgot the adventures we shared together.

During my journeys I would find others like you and try

to experience that same kind of bond that we had back then

but to no avail.

 Many were as tall and strong as you, but

they could never live up to you in my eyes. One day

I was in your area and thought I would look you up. I had my son with me and

wanted to introduce him to you. He’d heard all the stories

of the adventures we had together and was anxious to see you. As we pulled up

I got out of the car and I had to steady myself

and clear my vision. I couldn’t believe

what had happened to you in those years

that we had been separated. All our times together flashed before my eyes

then I heard my son say, “Hey, there’s just a big old stump there.

Dad, why are you crying?”

 

3 comments:

  1. Very sad; very moving. I was right there with you as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great story-telling with a great twist at the end. Sad, but good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete